IntroDownloading Hulu, bbs, pbs, and other videos on Linux is remarkably simple- once you know how. It took me quite a bit of digging to figure it out though.
These websites use a type of video transmission called rtmp, and this prevents them from being downloaded more easily, like good and trust worthy youtube videos.
InstallTo download rtmp videos, you will first need to have installed the latest version of rtmpdump. (As of the time of this writing the latest version is rtmpdump 2.4) You may be able to easily install this package using your distributions software center.
After installing rtmpdump you should have access to 3 commandline programs: rtmpdump, rtmpsrv, and rtmpsuck.
Local ScriptCreate a folder named "rtmp" (or whatever you like) to download your videos to.
In that folder, save this as a file named "riprtmp.sh"
#!/bin/bash # riprtmp.sh # Redirect rtmp internet signals locally. sudo iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1935 -j REDIRECT # load video into browser and run rtmpsrv exec 2> /dev/null # Comment out this line if having problems. rtmpsrv | grep "rtmpdump" | tee ripinfo.txt & echo "Press enter after trying to load video" read i killall rtmpsrv echo "Output sent to ripinfo.txt" # Undo previous redirect for rtmp signals. sudo iptables -t nat -D OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1935 -j REDIRECT
After saving the file, be sure to set executable permissions so that you can run it as a script: chmod +x riprtmp.sh. This script will be used to collect the info we need for rtmpdump to download the video locally.
How To Run ItAt this point everything should be ready! Here are the steps to get the video you want to download.
- Open a commandline and navigate to your "rtmp" directory.
- Begin running the script ./riprtmp.sh. It will prompt for administrator access, and you need to enter your password.
- Try to load the video in Firefox (the video should fail to load because it is being redirected to rtmpsrv in the script).
- After the video fails to load, go back to the script and press Enter.
- A new file now exists called "ripinfo.txt". Open this file.
- Inside the "ripinfo.txt" there should be a long line that starts with "rtmpdump".
- Copy and paste that long "rtmpdump" line into the commandline and press Enter.
- Your video should now be downloading.
Happy offline video watching. Comment or write me at sepero 111 @ gmail . com