There used to be a way to retrieve the transcript file with a modified API URL, but Youtube has changed it's API to prevent that. It's still possible to get the video transcript, but now it's more difficult to get.
Skill Level: Mildly Difficult (4 out of 5)
After you install Firebug, you need to restart Firefox. Steps to retrieve transcript.
- Go to the youtube video.
- Firefox Menu > Tools > Web Developer > Firebug > Open Firebug (or press F12)
- Go to Firebug tab "Net"
- If "Net" is disabled, click on the little triangle next to "Net" and choose Enabled.
- Reload the Youtube page in Firefox. (Firebug should still be showing.)
- After the video starts playing, pause it.
- Press the "CC" button, and turn captions ON.
- Type "timedtext" into the Firebug search box (top-right).
- Find the second instance of "GET timedtext"
- Right-click on the "GET timedtext", and select "Open in new tab"
The new tab will contain the transcribed text. Cheers.
If someone could help get this done using a bash script, that would be Greatly Appreciated!